An authentic Indonesian recipe – Tahu Gejrot
This dish originally comes from Cirebon in West Java and is perfect as a starter. If you’re not used to having something spicy you can reduce the chilli. Beware this dish is spicy, it will wake up your taste buds and can be quite addictive!
1 396g pack of Cauldron Organic Tofu
4 cloves of banana shallots – these should be peeled as they will need to grind together with the garlic on pestle and mortar
4 cloves of garlic
10 pieces of green bird’s eye chilli (could be mixed with the red one)
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp tamarind water
100 gr Indonesian palm sugar/gula jawa
250 ml water
4 tbsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce / kecap manis
1. Preparing your tofu
To prepare, we recommend pressing the tofu for between 10 – 20 minutes (the longer you can press it for, the firmer the texture of your tofu will be). Remember to use plenty of layers of kitchen roll to soak up the water!
It’s a simple process – follow our step-by-step video guide. The video also shows you how easy it is to marinate your prepared tofu, and how to store for another day.
2. Cut your tofu into small squares and fry until it is puffy in appearance and golden in colour
3. Dilute the palm sugar into hot water
4. Mix tamarind water, palm sugar (which already been diluted into hot water) salt and kecap manis in a container
5. Grind the shallots, garlic, and chillis in pestle and mortar. If you don’t have one you can use a hand blender
6. Dish the tofu onto a serving plate and either pour the dressings all over the tofu or use it as a dip.
Sweet, sour, spicy and so refreshing!