Japanese Curry Inspiration
Japanese curry usually consists rice and vegetables served on one plate with a sauce that looks more like a thick stew as opposed to to something like a Thai curry. It’s often less spicy than traditional Indian curries and is a common canteen favourite in Japanese culture. The most commonly known is perhaps the katsu curry; and we’ve outlined how to make a vegetarian katsu curry with delicious pressed tofu.
Katsu Curry Recipe
Curry Sauce Ingredients:
30ml of vegetable oil
1 white onion, finely sliced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp of mild curry powder
2 tbsp of plain flour
400ml of dashi, made from kombu
2 1/2 tbsp of tamari
1 tbsp of honey
1 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp garam masala
Tofu Katsu Ingredients:
300g of Cauldron Organic Tofu
1 large egg
125g of plain flour
100g of Panko breadcrumbs
1. Start by making the curry sauce. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until tender, for approximately 2–3 minutes.
2. Add the curry powder and stir until fragrant. Blend in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Slowly pour in the dashi, soy sauce and honey. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens.
4. Stir in rice vinegar and garam masala, cook for a minute and check for salt. Keep warm until ready to serve and then cook some rice.
5. For the crispy tofu, press the it and then slice into 1cm thick slices, dry the pieces well and sprinkle with salt. Leave on a clean tea towel for 10 minutes.
6. Place the flour on a plate and season it with a pinch of salt and pepper. In a wide soup plate, add the egg and beat with a pinch of salt. Place the breadcrumbs in a large, shallow dish.
7. Roll each slice of tofu in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs to coat and In a large frying pan, heat enough oil to fill it about 1.5cm deep.
8. Shallow fry the tofu for around 2 minutes on each side or until golden, then place on kitchen paper to drain.
9. Serve with sliced spring onions or shallots and some julienned carrot.